This blog post is Part one of a three-part series regarding the detailed reporting features found in version 1.0 of our PowerMTA Management Console, (PMC). The Reporting facility in the PMC offers detailed, database driven, historical reporting (with time presets) of key delivery and bounce data, across a variety of filters for further customization and drilldown. A CSV export of report data is also available for those seeking to store report outputs separately.
Let’s get started with Bounce Categorization and Reporting since looking at bounce strings early and often it’s by far one of the most important maintenance items for optimized deliverability.
When you navigate to the Reporting tab in the main nav of the PMC, you’ll find a sub-navigation menu called “bounces.” The bounce reporting feature provides detailed reporting for bounces such as a Summary, Detail by Error Message, Detail by Domain and Detail by both Error Message and Domain. It also provides a detailed breakdown of bounces by category, such as bad mailbox, spam related, inactive mailbox, policy related, etc. Below are examples and definitions you’ll find here:
- Summary: Lists the top 10 bounce categories based on the number of bounces for each category. Includes the category name, bounce counts, and the percentof total bounces for each category.
- Detail by DSN: Lists the top 10 DSN diagnostic codes/strings or (error messages) received by PowerMTA across your domain universe. It includes the number of bounces generated for each DSN code (error), the percent of the total bounces, and the DSN diagnostic codes (errors) received. “Spam-related” is the default category for the report, which can be changed to other specific categories along with an “all” category.
- Detail by Domain: Lists the top 10 domains based on the total number of bounces in the chosen category. This report includes bounce counts for each domain and the percent for each domain against the total bounces in the output.
- Detail by DSN and Domain: Lists the top 10 (error messages) received by PowerMTA for each domain. Includes the domain name, number of bounces generated for each DSN code (error), the % of the total bounce counts, and the DSN diagnostic codes (errors) received.
- Top Domain Breakdown: Lists the top 10 domains based on the total number of bounces across all categories. Includes counts for the total recipients (deliveries + bounces), the number of total bounces for each domain, and a count breakdown for both 5xx (permanent) and 4xx (temporary) bounces. Clicking on any of the domains in this list will offer additional domain reporting by DSN diagnostic (error) codes, which includes the number of bounces generated for each (error), the % of the total bounces for the domain, and the error codes received.
From the screenshot below, we see that 80% of the bounces that occurred in this particular category in Yahoo were related to an inactive inbox. There are many other bounce categories built in to this reporting feature which are also customizable. Next week, we’ll talk more about what you can expect from other reporting features, such as Domain Reporting and VirtualMTA reporting.